Thursday, January 13, 2011

Art lessons

I have been asked many times over the years if I give private lessons.  Usually I say no, or well, I could...

I think my hesitation is because I think most people, especially parents, view lessons as an outcome based process.  Art, however, is not always about the outcome, but the journey of discovery.  Regardless of this belief, I have decided to provide art lessons to the general public since so many of my students have been finding success in their artwork.  I have decided to approach lessons by offering two paths: artistic discovery or project based.  I can easily teach people to copy and mimic or to slightly alter a project to make it their own and learn a couple techniques along the way.  However, I feel my real strength as an educator is my eye for quality art and helping students develop their aesthetic.  I'm hoping that this proves a fruitful venture for me.  An added bonus is that I get inspired by my students.  I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment